Position: Stop AAPI Hate Digital Director
Organization: Chinese for Affirmative Action
FLSA status: Exempt
Location: Remote, hybrid, or in-office in Los Angeles/San Francisco
Reports to: Stop AAPI Hate Managing Director
Deadline: March 1, 2024
Posting: February 1, 2024
Reporting to the Stop AAPI Hate Managing Director, the Digital Director is responsible for driving the coalition’s multi-channel digital strategy — including digital communications (email, marketing/advertising, and social media), digital advocacy, and digital fundraising — in close coordination with the Communications, Policy & Advocacy, and Fund Development teams. The ideal candidate is creative, team-oriented, and experienced in developing and implementing proactive strategies for optimizing digital engagement and acquisition. This role also demands a deep understanding of key racial justice issues impacting AAPI communities in the U.S.
This role is an exempt position and can either work at CAA’s San Francisco office, remotely, or a combination of the two, including potential access to our other designated partner office in Los Angeles. Though subject to change, Stop AAPI Hate team members are expected to participate in periodic in-person staff gatherings, primarily in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Lead the development and implementation of a long-term, multi-channel digital strategy for the Stop AAPI Hate coalition, in line with our organizational goals.
- Provide an inspiring vision and KPIs for expanding the coalition’s digital work to grow the organization’s reach and influence across email, social media, our website, and other digital spaces.
- Proactively propose new and creative strategies, tools, tactics, and opportunities to optimize digital engagement, acquisition, and impact across core areas of work, including: social media, email, SMS, digital marketing/advertising, digital advocacy, and digital fundraising.
- Work closely with various internal teams (communications, policy & advocacy, fund development, and data & research) to help them execute specific campaigns and projects.
- Provide both high-level guidance (e.g. recommending tactics for mobilizing supporters around a digital petition) and hands-on support as needed (e.g. editing copy for digital channels).
- Identify optimal actions (organic and/or paid) to achieve specific advocacy, communications, and fundraising campaign goals.
- Participate in cross-team content development brainstorms, planning meetings, and work sessions.
- Ensure that all work adheres to WCAG AA web accessibility guidelines and best practices
Measurement and Analytics
- Assist the communications team in developing a framework and concrete processes for measuring, analyzing, and reporting performance data across digital channels, including social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, LinkedIn, X, etc), our website, and our email program.
- Establish performance indicators, goals and benchmarks.
- Utilize EveryAction, in-app social media tools, and other software to help the communications team track and measure performance metrics.
- Recommend new tools and tactics as needed.
- Drive testing and online audience analysis to gather actionable insights on our target demographic(s) and improve user experience.
- Provide regular recommendations for pivots and improvement based on data analytics.
Brand-building and Strategic Messaging
- Collaborate closely with the Director of Communications on:
- Increasing brand awareness and relevance.
- Developing strategic messaging and narrative change strategies to shape the public’s understanding of AAPI communities and the issues that matter to them.
- Crisis communications work, as needed.
- Oversee digital content broadly to ensure message alignment, meaningful impact, and brand consistency across email, website, SMS, digital ads, and social media communications.
- In coordination with the Communications Director and Managing Director of Advocacy, help set and manage budget and workflow priorities for various campaigns and initiatives.
- Oversee strategy and implementation within the EveryAction CRM.
- Help ensure data privacy, compliance, and security guidelines are adhered to across all platforms with protocols developed by internal IT & Security Department
- Supervise 1-2 direct reports
- Manage relationships with relevant external vendors/contractors and partners as needed.
Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- At least 5+ years of relevant work experience in digital communications, marketing, organizing, advocacy, etc.
- Experience working in a nonprofit, advocacy, journalism, or political campaign setting is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated track record of leading successful digital programs and campaigns.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission, values, and aspirations, and be able to render these values into practice.
- Strong understanding of issues related to racial equity, social justice, and/or policy advocacy, as well as an ability to keep a pulse on cultural trends and priorities of AAPI communities.
- Experience managing teams and direct reports, with an ability to inspire colleagues with creativity and empathy.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Experience with ad copywriting/copy editing is a huge plus.
- Deep knowledge of social media trends and platforms including but not limited to X, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, Threads, and YouTube.
- Experience using digital communications, CRM, and analytics tools such as EveryAction, Instagram Analytics, etc.
- Solid understanding of strategic messaging and narrative change.
- Willingness to serve as on-camera talent for social media video content on a limited basis is highly desired but not required.
About Stop AAPI Hate
Stop AAPI Hate is a U.S.-based coalition dedicated to ending racism and discrimination against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders (AAs & PIs). We strive to advance the multiracial movement for equity and justice by building power for our communities, working in solidarity with other communities of color, and advocating for comprehensive solutions that tackle the root causes of race-based hate.
As the nation’s largest reporting center tracking anti-AAPI hate acts, our coalition publishes data insights and research findings to paint a vivid and nuanced picture of racism and other forms of bigotry as it is experienced by our communities. Leveraging our core strategies – Data & Research, Policy & Advocacy, Community Capacity Building, and Narrative Change – we drive progress across three distinct issue areas to create a safer, more equitable future for all. Learn more at https://stopaapihate.org.
About Chinese for Affirmative Action
Chinese for Affirmative Action is one of the founding partners of Stop AAPI Hate and also serves as its fiscal sponsor. With a legacy of more than five decades of achievements in civil rights and community progress, CAA continues to be a leader in and on behalf of the broader Asian American community.
Chinese for Affirmative Action was founded in 1969 to protect the civil and political rights of Chinese Americans and to advance multiracial democracy in the United States. Today, CAA is a progressive voice in and on behalf of the broader Asian American and Pacific Islander community. We advocate for systemic change that protects immigrant rights, promotes language diversity, and remedies racial and social injustice. Learn more at www.caasf.org.
We are committed to supporting our employees to thrive in service of our mission by providing generous benefits, which include 100% health, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for employee coverage and 65% for dependent coverage; employer-funded health reimbursement account; paid time off; and professional development stipend.
Please email a cover letter and resume in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 1, 2024. In the subject line, please write “SAH Digital Director Application.” In your cover letter, please address the following questions: 1) What about our mission or values inspires you? 2) What is the most impactful digital campaign or project you’ve worked on and why?
In addition to your cover letter and resume, please submit 1-2 writing samples, which can include existing/past social media copy, video script, essay, digital strategy plan, or other relevant content.
SAH is fiscally sponsored by Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA). Staff hired by SAH will be employees of CAA.
CAA is committed to creating a work environment that is free from discrimination and a workforce that reflects the rich diversity of our Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. Women, people of color, immigrants, queer and trans people, individuals with conviction and arrest records, and those who are differently-abled people are encouraged to apply. CAA will consider those who seek visa sponsorship upon hire, and employees may be eligible for green card sponsorship after 3 months of continuous employment, contingent upon leadership approvals.
Please visit https://stopaapihate.org/careers/ for the most updated job description and if the position is still open.