$55,000 - $65,000
Chinese for Affirmative Action was founded in 1969 to protect the civil and political rights of Chinese Americans and to advance multiracial democracy in the United States. Today, CAA is a progressive voice in and on behalf of the broader Asian American and Pacific Islander community. We advocate for systemic change that protects immigrant rights, promotes language diversity, and remedies racial and social injustice.
At the grassroots level, our community building work nurtures the ability of community members to participate fully in civic life. These activities include direct services, leadership development, and civic engagement with limited-English proficient newcomers and immigrants on issues that impact our community. At the systemic level, we lead advocacy, communications, and movement building work to improve public policy and shape public discourse. We produce community-based research, publish policy analyses and recommendations, influence opinion through media, organize to engage elected and government officials, and nurture a range of progressive coalitions.
This is an exciting period of growth and impact for CAA and our partner organizations. Due to the extraordinary demand and support for our work, we are poised to deepen and expand our reach and engagement throughout the country. This role is critical to CAA as it is the very first point of contact for clients, community members, partners, vendors, and other stakeholders when they call or walk into the office. The position draws on a variety of skills ranging from helpful interactions with community members and keeping the office in order and a safe and welcoming workplace for our staff and visitors.
Reporting to the CAA Administrative and Operations Manager, the primary role of the CAA Receptionist and Administrative Assistant is to provide critical in-office administrative, facility, and language support. With the support of others on the administrative and capacity team, the position is responsible for maintaining a welcoming environment for all visiting community members and guests and must be able to represent CAA to a wide range of stakeholders. The position is non-exempt and the CAA Receptionist and Administrative Assistant works in-person at the Chinese for Affirmative Action San Francisco office Monday through Friday during business hours. There is flexibility for those seeking full-time, part-time, permanent or temporary opportunities.
- Welcome visitors to the office and answer the phone
- Answer bilingual inquiries about available CAA services, programs, and campaigns
- Direct calls to staff and make community resource referrals when needed
- Maintain safe and orderly office space, conference rooms, and kitchen area.
- Assist with office organization including materials, files, equipment.
- Maintain contract tracing for all clients and vendors entering the office
- Order office supplies and monitor inventory
- Send and retrieve items to and from offsite storage facility
- Assist with onsite and digital filing/storage
- Support the CAA Administrative and Operations Manager with facility maintenance and repair
- Provide onsite meeting support, including room setup and food arrangements as necessary. Sort and distribute incoming/outgoing postal mail
- Track mailing of vendor payments and donor acknowledgments
- Assist with light written translation of documents (English and Chinese Mandarin/Cantonese)
- Support with community member sign-in, screening, and internal and external referrals
- Perform other administrative and support duties as assigned
- Oral fluency in English and Cantonese required, Mandarin a plus. Ability to read and write Chinese and English
- Strong computer software skills. Experience with Chinese language and tablet software and Cloud-based phone systems a plus
- Two years in administration or other relevant experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills with diverse constituencies including low-income, immigrant, limited-English proficient, and undocumented communities
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Commitment to the mission, values, and goals of CAA
- Be able to lift 35 lbs
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “CAA Receptionist and Administrative Assistant”. For more information about CAA, please visit www.caasf.org.
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.