Position: CAA Receptionist
Employer: Chinese for Affirmative Action
Hourly Rate: $24.63/hour; excellent benefits, including healthcare and paid time off (for eligible employees if more than 20 hours per week)
Hours: Full time (40 hours/week)
Status: Non-exempt; temporary
Deadline: Open until filled
Posting: April 2023
Chinese for Affirmative Action was founded in 1969 to protect the civil and political rights of Chinese Americans and to advance multiracial democracy in the United States. Today, CAA is a progressive voice in and on behalf of the broader Asian American and Pacific Islander community. We advocate for systemic change that protects immigrant rights, promotes language diversity, and remedies racial and social injustice.
At the grassroots level, our community building work nurtures the ability of community members to participate fully in civic life. These activities include direct services, leadership development, and civic engagement with limited-English proficient newcomers and immigrants on issues that impact our community. At the systemic level, we lead advocacy, communications, and movement building work to improve public policy and shape public discourse. We produce community-based research, publish policy analyses and recommendations, influence opinion through media, organize to engage elected and government officials, and nurture a range of progressive coalitions.
Reporting to the CAA Administrative and Operations Manager, the primary role of the CAA Receptionist is to greet guests, including walk-in community members and clients with appointments, who come to CAA’s Chinatown office.
This role is critical to CAA as it is the very first point of contact for clients, community members, partners, vendors, and other stakeholders when they call or walk into the office. The position is responsible for being helpful to community members, keeping the office in order, and promoting a safe and welcoming workplace for our staff and visitors.
The position is non-exempt and temporary. The CAA Receptionist works in-person at the Chinese for Affirmative Action office in San Francisco’s Chinatown from Monday through Friday during business hours (9am-5pm).
- Welcome visitors to the office and answer the phone
- Answer bilingual inquiries about available CAA services, programs, and campaigns
- Direct calls to staff and make community resource referrals when needed
- Maintain safe and orderly office space, conference rooms, and kitchen area.
- Assist with office organization including materials, files, equipment.
- Maintain contract tracing for all clients and vendors entering the office
- Provide onsite meeting support, including room setup and food arrangements as necessary.
- Support with community member sign-in, screening, and internal and external referrals
- Perform other support duties as assigned
- Oral fluency in Cantonese required, Mandarin a plus. Desire to develop basic English skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with diverse constituencies including low-income, immigrant, limited-English proficient, and undocumented communities
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Commitment to the mission, values, and goals of CAA
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “CAA Receptionist”. For more information about CAA, please visit www.caasf.org.
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.