About the Organization
Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA) was founded in 1969 to protect the civil rights of Chinese Americans and to advance multiracial democracy in the United States. Today, CAA is a progressive voice in and on behalf of the broader Asian American and Pacific Islander (API) community.
At the grassroots level, our direct services, leadership development, and civic engagement work nurtures the ability of immigrants to participate fully in civic life. At the systemic level, CAA leads advocacy, communications, and movement building work to improve public policy and to shape public discourse.
The Communications Manager will manage and implement the strategic communication priorities of the organization. Specifically, the position will play a dynamic and crucial role in developing the organization’s external communications plan, overseeing day-to-day external communications, and collaborating across CAA to amplify organizational, programmatic, and advocacy impact.
The Communications Manager reports directly to the Director of Development and works closely with CAA’s leadership to sustain and expand our organization’s voice.
Essential Responsibilities will include:
- Manage and implement communications strategy to increase the impact of CAA’s advocacy, programs, fundraising, and to broaden audience base.
- Partner with the leadership team to develop a cohesive digital and social media strategy.
- Ensure communication goals are incorporated across all channels.
- Participate in organizational activities to maximize opportunities to amplify CAA’s community education and advocacy goals.
- Researches best practices and strategies for communications platforms and media outreach.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Manage and maintain English language editorial content calendar for email newsletters, donor communications, social media, and other communications. Create, vet, and deploy communications.
- Strengthen CAA’s digital communications systems and infrastructure including the management and analytics of the website, social media channels and other emerging platforms.
- Develop compelling visual and written content to support organizational goals.
- Coordinate and manage multiple English language social media communications platforms to amplify CAA narrative and messaging while supporting Chinese Language Digital Engagement efforts.
Writing and Editing
- In collaboration with senior staff, write, edit, and review a variety of communications – online and print – for media, community education and outreach, fundraising and other purposes.
- Coordinate and write blog posts in collaboration with CAA program and organization staff.
- Develop and deepen media engagement through press outreach and relationship-building to elevate CAA’s visibility.
- Oversee and maintain the website press room.
- Work with CAA staff to draft press releases and other media materials.
- Identify media opportunities.
- Monitor English language news coverage on key issue areas.
- Assist in planning and hosting press events.
- Arrange and oversee interviews with media and CAA stakeholders.
- Support CAA staff, board, and community spokespeople with media and communications- related trainings and technical assistance.
- Commitment to the mission, values, aspirations of CAA.
- An understanding of the diverse issues impacting AAPI communities and other marginalized populations.
- 3 years of experience in a related position, or an equivalent of education and experience.
- Excellent proactive, collaborative, project management, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create dynamic written and visual content for a variety of audiences; attention to detail to design and copy.
- Experience in social media management and fluency with web and design.
- Proficiency in computer systems and software, specifically Google Suite, MS Office, Adobe CS.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including weeknights and weekends as needed.
- Knowledge of WordPress and Salesforce experience is highly desirable.
- Photography and/or videography experience is a plus.
- Bilingual and biliteracy in Chinese/ English is a plus.
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to employment(at)caasf.org. In the subject line, please write “Communications Manager”. For more information about CAA, please visit www.caasf.org.
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.