Under the supervision of the Director of Programs, the Community Engagement Program Manager will support the overarching goal of developing low-income, monolingual to limited-English proficient (LEP), Chinese immigrant community members to be more civically involved within their communities. The Program Manager will be responsible for guiding and supporting directly impacted community leaders on a range of relevant activities and campaigns as part of a pathway towards greater civic participation at CAA and beyond. This will specifically entail providing ongoing political education and skills
The position requires the ability to plan programming with long term goals in mind, and design and lead culturally and linguistically competent skills-building and political education workshops as part of ongoing programs and grassroots advocacy campaigns, while supporting individuals and cohorts of leaders. The Program Manager is a key member of the CAA staff, working both internally on developing and implementing organization strategies and priorities across program areas, as well as interfacing externally with community groups, coalitions, and government entities in order to bridge gaps and facilitate opportunities for leadership development between these stakeholders and CAA community leaders.
The Community Engagement Program Manager will work across program areas to engage on a range of key issues including immigrant rights, racial justice, language access, education equity, and economic and community development.
- Lead, develop, and manage LEP community members through a leadership development pipeline program that supports the community engagement goal of CAA to develop
workingclass, monolingual to limited-English proficient (LEP), Chinese immigrant community members to be more civically involved within their communities;
- Nurture and support existing, and recruit new, monolingual and limited-English proficient community leaders with a commitment to a progressive social change agenda towards ongoing participation in civic life beyond CAA;
- Lead the development of and implement regularly scheduled political education and advocacy skills building
trainingsfor community members to deepen political analysis and leadership skills to effectively and meaningfully participate in various initiatives internally and externally;
- Create meaningful opportunities for community leaders to provide input on strategies, issue areas and within CAA and across our diverse stakeholders
.Participatein and coordinate community-engaged media strategies including messaging and spokesperson development and preparation;
- Represent CAA and community members in collaboration meetings, hearings, and at events as they relate to CAA community engagement, advocacy, and outreach efforts; and
- Create and manage infrastructure and systems for tracking and reporting on leadership development activities for internal and external stakeholders including funders; and
- Contribute to long-term planning for the organization as it relates to community engagement and leadership development and to advance the mission and vision of CAA.
- Experience leading and supporting directly impacted, working class, monolingual to limited English proficient Chinese immigrant community members in
community basedoutreach and grassroots advocacy campaigns.
- Experience in developing and delivering culturally
competantpopular education curriculum and trainingsthat facilitate community leadership development.
- Oral fluency in Cantonese
required,written fluency in Chinese a plus.
Excellent inter-group, communication, conflict resolution, and analytical skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, ethnic studies, sociology or relevant field experience.
- Commitment to social justice and to CAA’s core values.
Ability to work both independently and commitment to working as part of a team.
- Willingness to work flexible hours- including weeknights and weekends.
- Proficiency with the
- A valid driver’s license and access to a car a plus.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to employment[at]caasf[dot]org. In the subject line, please write “Community Engagement Program Manager.”
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.