Hours: Full-time; 40 hrs/week
Deadline: Open until the position is filled.
Chinese for Affirmative Action was founded in 1969 to protect the civil rights of Chinese Americans and to advance multiracial democracy in the United States. Today, CAA is a progressive voice in and on behalf of the broader Asian American and Pacific Islander (API) community. We advocate for systemic change that advances equity and addresses challenges facing our community.
At the grassroots level, our community building work nurtures the ability of immigrants to participate fully in civic life. These activities include leadership development for Chinese American immigrants, employment services for limited-English proficient newcomers, outreach for immigrant legal services, and community education underscoring issues that impact our constituency.
CAA also leads advocacy to inform and shape public discourse, enact improvements to public policy, generate systemic change, and build social justice movements. This advocacy includes community-based research; public policy, budget, and legislative work; grassroots community education and media campaigns; multi-lingual strategic communications; and active coalition and movement building across a variety of communities.
With local offices anchored at its San Francisco Chinatown headquarters, CAA also maintains an active State policy presence through an office and partnership in Sacramento, and statewide and national advocacy through English and Chinese-language strategic communications and a variety of active relationships with allies.
We are seeking an energetic and passionate Development professional with a deep commitment to CAA’s mission and values.
The Development Manager will work closely with the Director of Development and CAA leadership to meet CAA’s robust fundraising strategy and goals. This position will also work in close collaboration with the Programs and Communications teams to ensure fundraising opportunities are incorporated into our engagement strategies. This role plays an essential role in securing contributions to support CAA’s growing programs and operations.
The Development Manager role requires a proactive and adaptive individual who can thrive in both a collaborative and independent work setting; has the ability to work efficiently on multiple projects; prioritize; follow through; and communicate effectively.
The ideal candidate will be experienced, enthusiastic, and excited about developing a strong community giving program at all levels of giving, and implementing fundraising strategies to support the sustainability of the organization.
- Support the Director of Development and leadership team in designing and implementing year-around fundraising and engagement strategies to retain current and attract new donors.
- Manage, coordinate, and support fundraising and donor engagement events.
- Maintain communications with donors, sponsors, prospects, vendors, and partners associated with the events and campaigns.
- Develop and deliver in design, publication, and production of fundraising and donor engagement materials – including solicitations, reports, digital campaigns.
- Support CAA’s fundraising goals of increasing the number of institutional and individual donors and the level of giving through identification, cultivation, and solicitation.
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Co-Executive Directors to secure and facilitate cultivation and solicitation meetings.
- Research and secure new sources of financial support.
- Ensure timely donation tracking and acknowledgement with CAA’s administrative team.
- With the administrative team, ensure donor records are current and accurate.
- Perform other tasks, as assigned or appropriate to achieve CAA’s fundraising objectives.
- Commitment to CAA’s values and mission.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of dedicated development or communications role.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, creatively, and to develop and drive a plan forward.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to represent the organization with donors as well as interface with all levels of staff while maintaining flexibility, tact, and a positive attitude.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills and unrelenting attention to detail.
- Proficient in Google Suite, Adobe Creative, digital video conferencing platforms, Microsoft Office Suite and databases.
- Experience working for a nonprofit organization a plus.
- Experience events planning a plus.
- Database management experience, especially Salesforce a plus.
- Familiarity with email platforms, especially Campaign Monitor a plus.
- Fluency in Mandarin/Cantonese a plus.
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to employment(at)caasf.org. In the subject line, please write “CAA Development Manager.” For more information about CAA, visit www.caasf.org.
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.