Salary: $80,000 – $110,000 annually, excellent benefits
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Deadline: Open until filled
About CAA and AACRE
Chinese for Affirmative Action was founded in 1969 to protect the civil and political rights of Chinese Americans and to advance multiracial democracy in the United States. Today, CAA is a progressive voice in and on behalf of the broader Asian American and Pacific Islander community. We advocate for systemic change that protects immigrant rights, promotes language diversity, and remedies racial and social injustice.
In 2014, CAA helped to launch the Asian Americans for Civil Rights and Equality (AACRE) network that focuses on long-term movement building, capacity infrastructure, and leadership support for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders committed to social justice. Including CAA there are currently 11 partnering member groups with unique strengths. Fiscal sponsorship, administrative, and operational support is provided centrally for all of these groups so they can focus on their core programs.
The primary role of the AACRE Director of Operations is to lead and strengthen AACRE’s internal organizational capacity building support systems that undergird operations for all 11 groups in the AACRE network, including CAA. The Director is responsible for multiple capacity areas, including human resources, technology, and facilities.
The Director of Operations plays a significant leadership position in helping AACRE achieve its mission and maximizing the organization’s impact. The position oversees personnel, facilities, and information technology functions including a range of access needs including but not limited to language and disability justice. This position ensures clear, timely, and effective communication and coordination with other capacity-related functions, including finance and development.
The Director of Operations is an exempt position reporting to one of CAA’s two Co-Executive Directors. The Director will directly supervise an IT Manager and an Administrative Manager, and a team that also includes an Administrative Coordinator and a Program Assistant. The Director of Operations works out of the CAA San Francisco office and will be part of CAA’s leadership team and will work collaboratively with other CAA administrative and program staff and AACRE group leaders in a way that is open and honors individual strengths and passions.
Areas of Responsibility
- Implement organizational culture, values and policies including compassion, justice, inclusion and equity.
- Ensure HR compliance with all local, state and federal requirements, including requirements tied to government contracts.
- Develop workforce strategies to attract and hire talent.
- Update onboarding, offboarding, and training standards as needed.
- Improve employee retention and development including coordination of staff recognition events.
- Support building a culture of appreciation and support.
- Oversee the annual review process and maintain personnel files.
- Administer employee benefits plans, including employee health benefits, paid time off, leaves of absence, and employee retirement plan.
- Lead team to ensure the primary office facility is clean, well-maintained, safe, inclusive and accessible for everyone.
- Develop and implement processes so that anyone who regularly uses our facilities are trained in case of an emergency, including changing shelter in place orders to ICE visits.
- Oversee vendor relations to ensure high quality of service at reasonable costs, including insurance providers and equipment and facilities maintenance.
- Support administrative compliance as required by stakeholders and funders.
- Ensure administrative staff are supported and are able to provide the best in class services to our clients and visitors.
- Ensure the information and technology systems, policies and procedures meet the current and future needs.
- Work with AACRE program staff and group leaders to facilitate the collaborative process within the network.
- Participate in leadership team meetings and give input from both operations and global perspectives.
- Bridge and integrate operating infrastructure capacity staff and functions with programmatic efforts, staff and partners.
- Commitment to the organization’s mission, values, and aspirations, and be able to render these values into practices.
- 7+ years of increasing responsibility in nonprofit management.
- Extensive experience working multiple digital platforms including Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, and Zoom administration.
- Experience with project management on multiple levels.
- Demonstrated experience in positions that require organizational and analytical skills, and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated experience in building an inclusive environment in an office setting.
- Demonstrated effective supervisory experience a plus.
- Creativity and problem solving ability.
- Dependability, good judgment, and good communication.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team who supports the mission and diverse partners of AACRE
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line, please write “AACRE Director of Operations.” In your cover letter, please address the following questions: What about our mission or values inspires you? What has been your most impactful work or life experience so far, and why?
CAA/AACRE is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.