$75,000 - $100,000
About Stop AAPI Hate and Chinese for Affirmative Action
Stop AAPI Hate is a national coalition of AAPI Equity Alliance, Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA), and the San Francisco State University Asian American Studies Department. The mission of Stop AAPI Hate is to advance equity, justice, and power by dismantling systemic racism and building a multiracial movement to end anti-Asian American and Pacific Islander hate.
This is an exciting period of growth and impact for Stop AAPI Hate (SAH). Due to the extraordinary demand and support for our work, we are poised to deepen and expand our reach and engagement throughout the country. This evolution will include the deployment of new strategies, additional programs, and increased staffing.
Since its launch two years ago, the Stop AAPI Hate online reporting center has documented close to 11,000 hate incidents affecting AAPIs and enabled us to raise awareness and shape conversations around anti-Asian racism. Our efforts have captured the attention of lawmakers, catalyzed them into action, and spurred a broader movement for progressive change. Going forward, Stop AAPI Hate’s work in research and data, policy advocacy, narrative change, and community capacity building will address core issue areas including education equity and ethnic studies, community safety and resilience, and civil rights and racial justice infrastructure.
Chinese for Affirmative Action is one of the founding partners of Stop AAPI Hate and also serves as its fiscal sponsor. With a legacy of more than five decades of achievements in civil rights and community progress, CAA continues to be a leader in and on behalf of the broader Asian American community.
Reporting to the Director of Research, the SAH Data Manager produces analyses and manages Stop AAPI Hate’s dataset of self-reported anti-AAPI hate incident data to advocate for change.
This role conducts analyses to inform our research reports as well as our policymaking and advocacy activities. This position has room to innovate new ways of communicating our data internally and externally, potentially through visualizations or brief written communications.
The ideal candidate blends a passion for data and an ability to communicate numbers and stats to a lay audience.
An exempt position, the SAH Data Manager can work at CAA’s San Francisco office, remotely, or a combination of the two including potential access to other designated partner offices. Though subject to change, Stop AAPI Hate team members are expected to participate in periodic staff convenings primarily in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area.
Data analysis and visualization
- Conduct analyses of hate incident dataset to share internally and externally
- Create powerful, engaging, and accessible data visualizations to communicate hate incidents
- Provide systematic documentation of data analyses and visualization for internal and external purposes
Data reporting, sharing. and storage
- Draft blog posts or other brief communications to summarize findings from hate incident data for media, researchers, and general audiences
- Refine existing data sharing protocols; vet requests to access hate incident data against these protocols
- Oversee secure storage of reported hate incidents, including removal of personally identifiable information throughout the datasets
- Engage with broader AAPI and hate/extremism data and research communities
- Collaborate across Stop AAPI Hate coalition team members to further the coalition’s vision and mission
- Other duties as assigned
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of AACRE, CAA, and Stop AAPI Hate, including a commitment to social justice, equity, and civic engagement
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in data analysis and/or visualization
- Knowledge of basic statistical or social science research techniques such as simple regression analysis
- Experience with statistical software packages such as STATA or R
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible, self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “SAH Data Manager.” In your cover letter, please address the following questions: What about our mission or values inspires you? What has been your most impactful work or life experience so far, and why?
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and immigrants are encouraged to apply. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.