On May 15th, Chinese for Affirmative Action hosted “From Non-English Language Pathways to School Desegregation: What’s Next to Ensure Education Equity for All?” which featured a discussion and reception at the Chinese Culture Center.
Public officials and community leaders in education dialogued about many significant education equity issues such as quality education for English language learners, cross-cultural bilingual education and immigrant parent engagement. From bilingual education to the state of school segregation, speakers highlighted shifting issues that affect K-12 education today.
• Jenny Lam, SFUSD Board of Education Commissioner (Moderator)
• Laureen Chew, Emeritus Professor, Asian American Studies, SFSU
• Hong Mei Pang, CAA Director of Advocacy
• Christina Wong, SFUSD Special Assistant to the Superintendent
• Anny Zhang, CAA Community Leader
The event is part of CAA’s year-long 50th Anniversary commemoration programming and will also recognize these pioneers: Association of Asian American Administrators, The Association of Chinese Teachers, Visitacion Valley Parents Association as well as Lonnie Chin, former Spring Valley Science Elementary School Principal.