Scope of Work
The Coalition for Community Safety and Justice (Coalition) is seeking a consultant who can staff the start up phase of a newly funded group. The Coalition was formed in response to long standing racial tensions, interracial violence and the surge in COVID-19 related anti-Asian racism and xenophobia. The Coalition has played a critical role in defining the problem and putting forth recommendations that recognize intergenerational and devastating impacts of violence directed towards Asian American families and survivors of crime.
In order to develop an effective citywide plan to address incidents of violence and to address the underlying causes we are launching a multipronged strategic initiative to do the following:
1). Create a community safety network infrastructure
2). Establish a holistic system of care for survivors and their families that support long term healing and recovery
3). Pilot a racial healing and restorative justice capacity building initiative working specifically with impacted Chinese and Black community leaders and residents
Primary Role and Responsibilities
The Consultant will work closely with the Coalition leaders who will provide overall guidance and key contacts to ensure a successful launch.
- Facilitate and document key decisions throughout the one month strategic planning process
- Craft a 6 month strategic plan including the goals, outcomes and key activities and timeline
- Develop the staffing structure, job descriptions and coordinate the interview and selection process of key staff
- Plan, coordinate and follow-up with key stakeholder meetings with the Mayor’s Office, elected officials, community leaders and key agency stakeholders
- Strategic communications support
- Extensive knowledge and experience advancing racial and social justice
- Knowledge of issues affecting communities of color locally and Asian American communities in particular
- Knowledge of and experience working within San Francisco’s political landscape
- Experience with program planning and development preferably in the area of violence prevention, non carceral and restorative approaches, social justice issues more broadly
- Experience working with government agencies and with community based organizations
- Excellent facilitation and external relations skills
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
Time Commitment & Compensation
Start date is immediately upon hire and projected through the end of June. Approximately 10-15 hours a week, a total of $30,000.
About the Coalition
Coalition members include Chinese for Affirmative Action, Chinese Progressive Association, Community Youth Center, and New Breath Foundation. Collectively, we have over 150 years of experience leading progressive racial justice initiatives in San Francisco.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send their resume and cover letter to Cynthia Choi, Co-Executive Director of Chinese for Affirmative Action at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, please write “CCSJ Consultancy.” For more information about CAA, please visit www.caasf.org.
CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.