Our communities take care of each other.
In response to the recent surge in COVID-19 related violence against Asian American communities throughout the greater San Francisco Bay Area, the Coalition for Community Safety and Justice (CCSJ) is joining forces with a coalition of organizations in Oakland to organize two parallel Days of Action in Oakland and San Francisco, both entitled “Love Our People, Heal Our Communities.”
On the first weekend of the Lunar New Year, and a few days after 60+ Asian organizations issued a press statement condemning the violence, these two events will bring together a multiracial and multigenerational coalition to stand against racism, xenophobia, and violence, and to offer space for healing the grief and pain that our Asian communities feel in light of recent events.
Join us on Sunday, February 14 from 1-3 PM Pacific Time at Civic Center Plaza in San Francisco. All are welcome. Chinese-English interpretation will be provided.
RSVP for the San Francisco event here
Share the San Francisco event on Facebook
This is a socially-distanced outdoor gathering for community members and allies to rally around safety and justice for our people. Please wear a face mask and do not attend if you are feeling sick or have been near someone who is sick.
CCSJ comprises four organizations: Chinese for Affirmative Action, Chinese Progressive Organization, Community Youth Center, and the New Breath Foundation.
Our allies in Oakland are also organizing an event from 3-5 PM on Saturday, February 13.
RSVP for the Oakland event here
Share the Oakland event on Facebook
Art by Vida Kuang
If you aren’t able to attend the in-person events (or if you want to continue to amplify the message of the event when you get home), here are some ways you can support this movement from home:
- Watch the live streams of the events.
- Sat, Feb 13 3, PM PST: Tune into Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN)’s Facebook page.
- Sun, Feb 14, 1 PM PST: Chinese Progressive Association (Facebook) and Chinese for Affirmative Action (Facebook). The SF event will have Cantonese (in person) and ASL interpretation (livestream only).
- Host watch parties, invite your friends and families to join you in a virtual watch party and start discussions to reimagine what public safety can look like.
- Amplify our message. Post the event’s artwork and uplift our messages on social media to highlight our communities’ healing, resilience, and solidarity. (materials below). Share this document with others at the link bit.ly/loveourpeoplesocial
- This is just the beginning. Continue to follow and support the organizations on the ground to stay connected and support ongoing efforts.
欢迎大家参加這個不同族裔和信仰的治癒活動：谴责暴力伤害亚裔老年人，妇女和青少年。 呼籲投資以社區為中心的長期解決方案。提前報名參加2月13日奧克蘭唐人街的活動: bit.ly/loveourpeopleoakland